Hawaii Theatre Center HI
Proclaimed as the Pride of the Pacific, the beautiful Hawaii Theatre, built by the Consolidated Amusement Company, opened its doors September 6, 1922 in downtown Honolulu. The Hawaii Theatre operated as a show place for vaudeville, plays, musicals and silent films until it fell into disrepair and was abandoned by Consolidated in 1984. In 1986, the Hawaii Theatre Center was formed to save the Hawaii Theatre from the wrecking ball and in May 1996, reopened its doors as a 1,400-seat, multi-purpose, state-of-the art performance center. Listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places, the Hawaii Theatre is available for all of Hawaii to enjoy.